top of page

Lee-Jackson High School (Site)

GPS Coordinates: 38.8079784, -77.0877928
Closest Address: 3300 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22314

Lee-Jackson High School (Site)

These coordinates mark the exact location where the school once stood. No visible remains exist.

Lee-Jackson High School was a Fairfax County school built to serve the Mount Vernon area in 1925–26 at the southwest corner of Duke Street and South Quaker Lane. When it opened for the 1926-27 school year, it was the only high school in the eastern part of the county and just one of five high schools in the entire county.

The school’s enrollment and faculty grew from 85 students and four teachers in 1927-28 to 307 students and 10 teachers just eight years later. Students took part in extracurricular activities like boys’ and girls’ basketball, baseball, student government, school patrol, glee club, drama, and ElJay, the Lee-Jackson yearbook.

Role and grade levels:
While the school did open as “Lee-Jackson High School,” it also later served as an elementary school after 1939, and became part of Alexandria when the city annexed that strip of Fairfax County in the early 1950s. When Mount Vernon High School opened in 1939 many of the high-school students and staff transferred and Lee-Jackson became a primary/elementary school. The site was in Fairfax County when built; the City of Alexandria annexed the strip between Duke Street and Cameron Run (including the Lee-Jackson site) in the early 1950s, and the school moved from Fairfax County schools into Alexandria’s authority as a result.


<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>
<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>

Here follows an excerpt from "The Dixie Pig" blog written by Senator Scott Surovell in 2013:

Lee-Jackson. South side of Duke Street at Quaker Lane. Lee-Jackson was the first public high school available to students in the Mount Vernon area. Opened in 1926, it was located at the current Alexandria city ball fields and maintenance facilities on Duke Street. (Alexandria annexed the strip of Fairfax County between Duke Street and Cameron Run in 1951.) The county opened a new high school on Route One in 1939, transferring both the students and faculty from Lee-Jackson over the Christmas holidays. The school system later changed the name to Mount Vernon. It is the current site of the Islamic Saudi Academy. Today’s Mount Vernon High School opened in 1974.

ABOUT ME

Award-winning local historian and tour guide in Franconia and the greater Alexandria area of Virginia.

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • Amazon

ADDRESS

Nathaniel Lee

c/o Franconia Museum

6121 Franconia Road

Alexandria, VA 22310

franconiahistory@gmail.com

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS

Thanks for submitting!

© 2025 by Franconia History L.L.C.

bottom of page